Rilyn’s Birth Story

12 Sep

Saturday, August 18th, 2012

I remember waking up feeling pretty crampy that morning but passed it off as nothing seeing how I’d woken up like that a few times previously and nothing came of it.  I had a few contractions throughout the day but nothing consistent.

By that afternoon I had several contractions and wasn’t feeling the greatest, but I wanted to keep up our goal of doing something fun with Lakyn daily until the baby arrived, so we headed out to the park for a bit. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe it was the swinging with Lakyn that finally pushed my body over the edge and sent me into labor…

We got back home around 6:30 and I was still having contractions so I decided to start timing them. They were anywhere from 8-20 minutes apart and 30 seconds long. I sent Brandon out to pick up dinner since I was certain this was not the real deal. We had steaks, baked potatoes, and salads. Wanna know how sweet my Hubby is? Earlier in the evening I had mentioned that crab rangoon from a specific chinese restaurant sounded SO GOOD, so not only did he come home with the steak dinner, but also brought me home a lovely appetizer of crab rangoon! He’s so thoughtful! I ate  devoured my dinner and then turned to B and jokingly said, ” If I am actually in labor, I’m going to puke all of this up later”.

Around 11, they were anywhere from 5-10 minutes apart, 30 seconds long. They weren’t painful yet so I was still convinced this wasn’t it. I know, how naive. It was about 11:45 when I realized that I was pacing and really concentrating when I was having a contraction which were 3-5 minutes apart, but still only 30 seconds. I finally felt convinced enough to call in to the nurse line to see if they wanted me to head to the hospital. And that would be a yes. The conversation went something like this:
-Sarah (the midwife on duty): So tell me what’s going on.
-Me: Well, I think I’m in labor. My contractions are 3-5 minutes apart and they’re starting to hurt, but I’m just not sure because they only last 30 seconds.
-Sarah: Okay, is this your first child?
-Me: No
-Sarah: Why don’t you go ahead and come in so we can check you out.

…And then I proceed to yell to Brandon that we have to go. NOW! So we gather everything up, make sure we have the camera and head out the door. (Luckily my sister-in-law, who was staying with Lakyn at our house since she was already in bed, was already at our house because she was convinced I was in labor WAY before I was.) I then call my momma and tell her we’re heading to the hospital but that I wanted her to wait until I was checked to make sure I was actually in labor before she started driving to KC. I would have felt really bad had she started driving and then have to turn around and go back home.

We get to the hospital around 12:25 am and they take us to a little room, a closet really, and get me hooked up to the machines to monitor Rilyn’s heartbeat and the contractions which are every 2-5 minutes now. The nurse then checks me and says, “Oh, you’re a 5-6 and 90%. You’re not going anywhere!” (Except to a labor and delivery room!) I call my mom and tell her it’s go time!

They then start the IV business and just like with Lakyn, it takes 3! times to get it in correctly. I’m still (yes, almost 4 weeks later) sporting traces of the bruises left behind. I said it with Lakyn, and I’ll say it again, the IV hurts worse than labor and delivery. No joke.

I’m finally taken to our room and Sarah the midwife comes in saying, “so I think I’m in labor…”. She was totally mocking me. She said, “look at you sitting at a 5-6 and saying that you think you’re in labor!” Okay, I know I’ve made a big fuss about how much I love my midwife Jeane and that I wouldn’t let anyone else deliver my babies, but it just so happened that my doctor wasn’t on call this night and Sarah was my only option. And you know what? At that point I didn’t care! All I wanted was to have my baby. And you know another thing? Sarah was wonderful! Would I have preferred Jeane? Yes, of course (i LOVE HER), but Sarah was an amazing stand-in!

After I get to the room and I talk to Sarah, it’s like someone turned the pain dial up on my contractions. I was doing so well managing the pain and really felt like I could make it without an epidural this time (bahahaha!). I was breathing through them and handling the pain really well, honestly. But here’s what I think happened. Even though I was in complete control of my pain, when the nurse had to do my IV 3 times, all of that control went out the window. I mean, these things really hurt, and they left huge knots on both of my arms where my veins burst. I wish I would have gotten a picture of them because it really looked like I had broken my arms. So yeah, after the IV fiasco I wasn’t in control anymore and was immediately asking for the epidural. Its a good thing I got it, too, because Rilyn wouldn’t be born for another several hours.

1:15 am: Asked for epidural
Some time between 1:15 and 2:00 my mom shows up. I don’t know exactly when she did, but I’m willing to bet she drove way faster than the speed limit because it sure didn’t feel like it took her an hour and 15 minutes to get to the hospital from the time I called her. Also, remember that joke I told Brandon about puking up my dinner if I was actually in labor. Yeah. That happened at this point. It was so very attractive.
2:00 am: Anesthesiologist finally shows up. I really thought I was going to die waiting for him. It felt like I was having a contraction every minute and during this waiting period, I learn that my contractions were not only lasting 30 seconds, I was just only feeling the strongest part of every one of my contractions.

While the dude was preparing to shove a huge needle in my back, he asks if I’ve ever had an epidural before. I briefly fill him in on that story and he immediately asks if I was notified that I received a spinal instead of an epidural before the anesthesiologist left my room. I tell him no and ask why and he says, “Well, we usually know right away if that happens so I’m surprised he didn’t say anything to you before he left.” …and at this point I don’t know whether to laugh or be pissed. This guy was much better, though, and administered it correctly. He even hung around for a bit afterward to make sure that it was going to “take” correctly. It ended up taking a while for my legs to start feeling tingly so before he left he gave me yet another vile of “the good stuff”. I was going to be so hopped up on epidural juice that I wasn’t going to feel a thing. And I couldn’t wait! :)

2:20: Got epidural. Dilated to a 7. Being completely honest, I was disappointed to hear I was only a 7. With as much pain as I was in I guess I expected to be further along.

It wasn’t until about 4:20 and after pressing the epidural button every 10 minutes to release more medicine, when I was completely numb. What is it with my body and pain meds? So 2 hours after I get the ep, and a failed popsicle eating attempt, I’m good to go; talk about a long wait. I just kept saying, “I didn’t just get the epidural for nothing. This better take. It has to.” Sarah comes in to check my progress. I’m an 8 and she decides to break my water. My mom and I were both thinking things were going to start moving really fast at this point. We were wrong. I decide that now that I’m comfortable to get some rest and the nurse  makes sure to tell me whenever she comes in that when I start feeling pressure to let them know. I wanted to tell her, “Look lady, I’ve been through this before. I remember what that feels like; it’s unmistakable. Don’t you worry, I’ll be letting you know”.

The nurse asked me if I wanted a popsicle and a grape one sounded delicious…

…after one bite I realized a popsicle was a bad idea. Stupid popsicle.

We all got a little rest during this time, I think. I got as much as I could with that stupid blood pressure arm band thing going off every 15 minutes. I HATE that thing. The nurse comes in periodically to adjust the monitors on my stomach and asks every time if I’m feeling any pressure….”No”.

I’m such an impatient person.

At 6:55 am Sarah comes in. “I’m going to check you and if you haven’t made any progress since the last time we’ll give you a little pitocin to help move things along.”

Oh, pitocin. You are the devil! I didn’t want to go through that again.

The nurses put my legs in the stirrups because there was no way I could do it. So. Numb. As soon as they put my legs in, Sarah goes, “Oh! Baby’s head!” Turns out I was so numb that I couldn’t feel the pressure of her moving down. Oops! Sarah called in for the baby people to come and my mom and Brandon got the cameras ready. And I started crying. I think it was a mixture of being relieved that she was finally going to be here and of knowing that our lives were about to change again for the better!

When the docs showed up Sarah had me push once and Rilyn’s head came out. She had me push again and she was born. Two pushes was all it took. They placed her on my chest and all I could do was hold her and say “hi sweetheart” through the tears. So emotional. Also, no tearing this time, which meant no stitches, which translates to a MUCH faster healing time this go around.

And I have to note that when they put her on my chest, I instantly knew why it hurt so much to carry her for 9 months. This girl is STRONG. They put her on my chest and she lifted her head up and looked around. Such amazing head control and neck strength from day one, and I don’t know how many nurses commented on how strong her arms and legs were. Yeah, imagine that pushing, kicking, punching, stretching all around INSIDE you! So glad I don’t have to feel that anymore! :)

She was born at 7:13 am. Weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces, was 19 inches long and looked exactly like her big sister. Seriously ya’ll, twinsies!


If you asked me which labor and delivery experience was better I don’t know which I’d choose. Yes, all the complications with Lakyn’s delivery were terrible, but the waiting (I was in labor for 13 hours) with Rilyn was just as bad in my book. I remember telling my mom that I’d rather go through pitocin and have it only last 5 hours than go naturally and have to wait 13 hours to see my precious baby. Again, I’m not a patient person. And I know that the fact that I wasn’t expecting it to take that long is amplifying it for me, but that’s just how I feel right now. Maybe if you ask me in a few months the answer will be different. I will say though that I felt fan-freaking-tastic after having Rilyn. Like my body hadn’t gone through anything. Like so fantastic that I didn’t need any pain meds after I had her. Except the one time I took advil for the cramping while i nursed.

It’s amazing all the things you forget about until you have a newborn again. Like the sound of their first cry. And the smell of a newborn after their first bath. And how peaceful they look all swaddled up in blankets after delivery. And the tiny itty bitty hospital hat they put on them. And the love written all over Daddy’s face the first time he gets to hold her.

It’s amazing how you forget just how tiny they are until you hold a brand new baby again.

And it’s also amazing just how complete your life feels when they’ve finally entered the world.

6 Responses to “Rilyn’s Birth Story”

  1. jodi September 13, 2012 at 12:45 am #

    Afton, wow! Seriously, you’re super-woman. Both your birth stories are so amazing, but yeah, waiting 13 hours is brutal. I think you and Brandon produced two of the most gorgeous girls ever. Miss you, but hope I get to meet that sweet little girlie soon!

    • Afton September 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

      Aww, thanks, but I don’t think I can take any of the credit. That epidural really can work wonders when it works right! And I’m not gonna lie, I think often about how awesome it would be if we could get together for play dates during the week. If only we weren’t halfway across the country from each other!

  2. Rachel Jorgensen September 13, 2012 at 9:34 am #

    Cried my eyes out reading this! Birth is so emotional! She’s gorgeous :)

    • Afton September 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

      Thanks, Rachel! It really is emotional! I cry every time I read a birth story or watch one on tv, I’m a sucker for them, really! :)

  3. Andrea September 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

    I’m so happy for you and just loved reading about Rilyn’s birth story!!! By the way, I also love love looooooove her name. Hope your family is doing well. <3

  4. Tylie September 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

    This is great! I loved reading your story! Those iv’s are so awful. I usually have the same thing happen. And you are a tough cookie and can TOTALLY do it without an epidural…next time ;)

    She is so beautiful! I am so happy for you guys! Thanks for sharing!!!

Leave a Reply